The Kids on the Go summer bus program offers a simplified bus schedule for children's activities this summer, and, as always, is free to those ages 7-18.
"The schedules are in both English and Spanish and available at the Community Council on Youth, the Boys & Girls Club of Western Nevada and any places having a summer program," said Pauline Kiser, executive director for the youth council.
Five new stops complete the 18-stop schedule, which begins running Monday and continues through Aug. 12.
"New this year are stops for both the Carson and Stewart Indian colonies, Seven Star Mobile Park Home, Cherry Creek Apartments and Mountain View Apartments," Kiser said.
Pick up and drop off will also occur at Eagle Valley and Carson middle schools and Seeliger, Fritsch, Mark Twain and Empire elementary schools. Skateboards are not allowed on the bus.
This year's schedule is different from last year when two buses ran in both directions through the city. This year, just one bus is making a loop four times daily through Carson City.
The first stop is at 8:39 a.m. at Carson Middle School and the last drop-off is scheduled for 4:26 p.m. at the Boys & Girls Club.
Also, new this year is the addition of bus volunteers, known as foster grandparents.
"These guys have all been background checked through the school district and we hope that increases the trust factor this year," Kiser said. "If young kids getting on need help getting to a place, they can ask the volunteer."
One of the stops will be at the Carson City Community Center, where Carson City Parks and Recreation is offering camp programs for children of all ages.
"It's for kindergarten through ninth grade for regular summer camp," said Parks and Recreation secretary Colene Boberg. "Camp begins (Monday) and continues through to Aug. 12."
Parents can sign their children up for one-week segments, but many of those are full. Many of the open slots are in weeks three through eight. Call 887-2290 ext. 101 for information.
The cost of camp for a week is $70 for kindergarten through fourth graders, $75 for fifth and sixth graders and $80 for seventh, eight and ninth graders. There is a limit to 40 students a session.
"The cost includes all the field trips and all the different activities and everything they do," Boberg said. "The only thing it doesn't include is lunch. They have to bring their own lunch," including a drink.
Another day camp in town is Positive Energy Day Camp on Mallory Street. The camp is full, but Office Manager Heike Ness said to call and get on a waiting list because cancellations occur frequently.
"Basically, we have the kids come in in the morning and we do an hour's worth of stretching when they get here," she said. "They have a little snack and then we work on a project called "The Virtues."
Each child learns a virtue, like gentleness, helpfulness or discipline. In the afternoon, children do crafts and play in the open gym.
"I just had some cancellations here the other day," Ness said. "If people are interested, they can call and leave their name and number."
Cost for the camp is $80 for one child and $60 for a second. Classes are still open for enrollment in dance and acrobatics. Call 884-3633 for information.
n Contact reporter Maggie O'Neill at firstname.lastname@example.org or 881-1219.
• Parks and Recreation, call 887-2290 ext. 101, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Positive Energy Day Camp, call 884-3633.
Kids on the Go
• Parent Ride-Along for Carson City Summer Bus Program 10 a.m.-noon June 25 in the Boys & Girls Club of Western Nevada parking lot. Call Pauline Kiser at 841-4730.
Kids on the Go bus schedule
• Carson Middle School: 8:39 a.m., 10:20 a.m., 1:09 p.m. 2:50 p.m.
• Carson Colony at the youth center: 8:47 a.m. 10:28 a.m., 1:17 p.m., 2:58 p.m.
• Stewart Colony at Dat-So-La-Lee and Barrington: 8:53 a.m., 10:34 a.m., 1:23 p.m., 3:04 p.m.
• Mountain View Apartments: 8:56 a.m., 10:37 a.m., 1:26 p.m., 3:07 p.m.
• Seven Star Mobile Home Park: 9:01 a.m., 10:42 a.m. 1:31 p.m., 3:12 p.m.
• Cherry Creek Apartments: 9:03 a.m., 10:44 a.m., 1:33 p.m., 3:14 p.m.
• Seeliger Elementary: 9:08 a.m., 10:45 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 3:10 p.m.
• Carson City Community Center: 9:17 a.m., 10:58 a.m., 1:47 p.m., 3:28 p.m.
• Carson City Library: 9:19 a.m., 11 a.m., 1:49 p.m., 3:30 p.m.
• Fritsch Elementary: 9:24 a.m., 11:05 a.m., 1:54 p.m., 3:35 p.m.
• Broadleaf Apartments: 9:32 a.m., 11:13 a.m., 2:02 p.m., 3:43 p.m.
• Northgate Shopping Center: 9:35 a.m., 11:16 a.m., 2:05 p.m., 3:46 p.m.
• Sierra Springs Apartments: 9:37 a.m., 11:18 a.m., 2:07 p.m. 3:48 p.m.
• Mark Twain Elementary: 9:43 a.m., 11:24 a.m., 2:13 p.m., 3:54 p.m.
• ComputerCorps: 9:53 a.m., 11:34 a.m., 2:23 p.m., 4:04 p.m.
• Empire Elementary: 10:03 a.m., 11:44 a.m., 2:33 p.m. 4:14 p.m.
• Eagle Valley Middle School: 10:07 a.m., 11:48 a.m., 2:37 p.m. 4:18 p.m.
• Boys and Girls Club of Western Nevada: 10:15 a.m., 11:56 a.m., 2:45 p.m., 4:26 p.m.