Historic preservation week is observed each year as an opportunity for communities and organization to share Nevada's history with family activities.
• Silver City Schoolhouse archaeological excavation artifacts will be displayed at the Fourth Ward School from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. These artifacts were recovered following a fire that destroyed the school in 2004. Admission to the school is $5 per adult, $3 for children 6 and older; free for 5 and under.
• "On Silver Mountain: Expectations and Realities of Chinese Americans in Virginia City" exhibit opens at the Fourth Ward School's Changing Gallery. The exhibit explores the Chinese American experience on Silver Mountain, the Chinese name for Virginia City. An opening exhibit reception will be held from 5 - 6:30 p.m. in the Alumni Room. State Historic Preservation Officer Ron James and Jessica Escobar from the University of Nevada, Reno will be available to answer questions about the exhibit. Dim Sum will be served.
• Chic DiFrancia and Carol Clifford will demonstrate the Chandler Press, once used to print Fourth Ward School newspapers and annuals. Observers may take home a printed souvenir. 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. in the Mark Twain Room.
• Nevada Civil War Volunteers will perform living history in the Fourth Ward School's E.L. Wiegand Great Hall from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Dr. Ron Reno will lecture on the architecture and archaeology of the 1867 Silver City Schoolhouse that was destroyed in a fire in 2004. Artifacts from the excavation are included in the presentation from 5-6 p.m. in the Fourth Ward School's Alumni Room.
• The annual Historic Preservation Ball takes place at Piper's Opera House from 7-11:30 p.m. Dancemaster Gus Gustafson and the Dennis Butterfield Quartet take you back in time to the grand balls of the Victorian era. Victorian formal, dressy western or semi-formal attire required. Cost: $35 per person in advance; includes light buffet supper. Call 358-2284 for reservations.
Models will promenade authentic Victorian fashions and finery featuring Chinese influence in fabrics and design. The fashion show is at 3 p.m. in the Fourth Ward School's E.L. Wiegand Great Hall.