Most of residential construction tax goes to Wilson Park

Carson City's Parks and Recreation Commission voted Tuesday to put the bulk of this year's residential construction tax money into development of Ronald D. Wilson Memorial Park.

The commission received applications totaling $248,689 but had only $150,000 to award. Members decided to recommend two-thirds of that, $100,000, go toward accelerating development of the park.

In addition, they recommended putting $500,000 in Question 18 funding toward the project.

The park, dedicated in memory of a former longtime city employee, will be the only neighborhood park north of College Parkway and the new freeway bypass. It is located at James Drive and Mark Way. The five-acre park will include standard features such as lawn areas, trees and shrubs, a picnic shelter, benches and playground equipment.

Staff recommended the funding package after members of the commission expressed concern about the length of time it is taking to build the park. Because of other needs in the city, they agreed it was unlikely the park project would get capital improvement project money in the near future.

Parks Director Roger Moellendorf said staff recommended the Question 18 funds be paid back by RCT money at the rate of $50,000 a year over the next decade. But he said the commission didn't include that provision so the issue will be taken up by Carson City supervisors.

In addition, the commission voted to put $20,000 into the Robert's House Carriage House project. That is less than half the $47,000 staff recommended for the $300,000 project which will provide special events space, storage and a new gift shop. The rest of the construction money will come from private grants and other donations.

Instead, they voted to put $20,000 into lighting for the BMX track project.

Finally, commissioners voted to give $9,000 to the Carson City Shade Tree Council for tree plantings this year. Of that, $6,000 will go to Mills Park. The rest will be spread among other parks in the city.

The recommendations will be forwarded to supervisors for final action.

Contact reporter Geoff Dornan at or 687-8750.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment