Carson candidates can officially declare campaign intentions

Along with two seats on the Carson City Board of Supervisors representing Wards 1 and 3, the sheriff, assessor, treasurer, clerk-recorder, district attorney, two justices of the peace and four school district trustee positions are open in this year's election.

Employees of the Elections Office are prepared for a wave of candidates to file, because 8 a.m. this morning is the beginning of the filing period for would-be representatives.

Clerk-recorder Alan Glover expects candidates to arrive at a brisk pace this morning. At least three have called ahead to let the office know they are coming, he said.

Five incumbents have announced intentions to run: Supervisors Robin Williamson and Pete Livermore, Wards 1 and 3, respectively; Sheriff Kenny Furlong; Assessor Dave Dawley and Justice of the Peace Robey Willis, Department 1.

Candidates must pay $100 to file, except for the school board, which is $30. Identification and proof of residency is required.

In neighboring counties, an array of offices are also up for grabs. In Lyon County, two of its district commissioners, district attorney, public administrator and sheriff positions are open.

In Storey County, district commissioner, district attorney and sheriff positions are open.

The last day to file is 5 p.m. May 12. Candidates may withdraw up until May 23.

Candidates' financial disclosure statements must be filed with the secretary of state by May 22.

The primary election is Aug. 15. Candidates are required to file campaign contribution and expense reports with the Elections Office on Aug. 8 and Oct. 31 and on Jan. 15, 2007.

July 15 is the deadline for accepting voter registrations from places other than the Clerk's Office, which will accept walk-in registrations until July 25.

As of January, there were 24,500 active voters registered in Carson City, according to the Elections Office.

Identification and proof of residence is required to register to vote in person at the County Clerk's Office, Department of Motor Vehicles, and Welfare, and Aging Services.

To register by mail, send an application and a copy of a current and valid photo Identification, or an application and a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or document issued by a governmental entity which indicates the name and address of the person.

Mail-in applications are online and at the Carson City Library, Sierra Pacific Power Co., Southwest Gas, Capital Sanitation and Carson City Utilities

Early voting is at the Carson City Courthouse, 885 E. Musser St., from July 29 to Aug. 11.

The general election is Nov. 7.

• Contact reporter Terri Harber at tharber or 882-2111, ext. 215.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment