A sex offender, drunken driver, thief and two women found guilty of assaulting deputies were given jail time Tuesday when they appeared for sentencing in Carson City district court.
Tier Level 2 sex offender James Terrance Brewer, 43, must serve the remainder of a one- to three-year sentence he received in January for violating his probation by marrying a felon who had children the age of those children he was convicted of molesting in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, failing to maintain employment, and not paying his supervision fees. He was given credit for 74 days time served.
Brewer is on lifetime supervision and was sentenced to probation in January after he failed to register his home address with the Department of Parole and Probation. At that time he was directed to stay away from the woman and her children.
Richard Maxwell Gowing, 46, was sentenced to two to 10 years in prison for felony drunken driving. Gowing has five drunken driving convictions, with a previous felony conviction from 1999. In his most recent arrest in September, Gowing's blood-alcohol level was .28, three-and-a-half times the legal limit. He must also pay a fine of $4,000, and was given credit for 76 days time served.
Greg Pierson, 36, was sentenced to two to five years in prison for the theft of a Nevada Appeal newspaper rack. He was arrested in September after stealing the rack from in front of Port-of-Subs on Highway 50 East. Pierson has a lengthy criminal history with at least two previous felony convictions.
Rene Tibbitts, 37, and Karen Alvarez, 43, were both sentenced to 18 months in jail - 60 days of which they began serving immediately - for the October 2005 assault on deputies responding to a home invasion. Both women were found guilty by a jury in September of two felony counts of battery on a peace officer. Also before Judge Bill Maddox on Tuesday:
• Christopher Ralph Burnett, 23, pleaded not guilty to two counts of supplying marijuana at a recreational facility for minors or a public park.
Burnett allegedly shared a joint with a 14-year-old and two 16-year-olds in the public restroom at Mills Park. The charge carries a penalty of one to six years in prison but because of the location of the offense, the penalty is automatically doubled and must be served consecutively. Burnett faces four to 24 years in prison if convicted. He also faces a fine of up to $70,000.
• David Lawrence Bucy, 50, had his probation revoked and must serve a sentence of one to four years in prison on a 1999 possession of a controlled substance charge.
• Regina Lynn Blades, 37, pleaded guilty to embezzlement and will be sentenced Jan. 9.
• Ramon Carrillo-Ramirez, 31, pleaded guilty to possession of a controlled substance and was sentenced immediately to 18 months probation with a prison sentence of 12 to 30 months suspended. He will be deported.
• Albert Lee Polfus, 47, was sentenced to three years probation with a suspended sentence of 12 to 48 months in prison on a charge of possession of a controlled substance.
• Contact reporter F.T. Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 881-1213.