'He was a good, good man': George Weeks remembered

George Weeks III made an impression on many people.

Friends, former coworkers and social acquaintances recalled him fondly on Thursday as a leader, a doer and a person who honored his country, family and God.

A man of strong character who served 30 years in the U.S. Air Force, Weeks was remembered as a man who lived life in the fast lane. Be it above enemy skies during the Vietnam War or in a Legends race car on the local asphalt track.

"He was my friend," John Slansky said. "He was a good, good man."

Weeks was awarded the Flying Cross and several air medals for his service. He retired from the military in 1988 as a colonel.

"I have tremendous respect for George," said Ron Kendall. "I know he will be welcome at the pearly gates.

Words about Weeks were short and sweet. Such as from Bennie McGuinness.

"He was every Girl Scout's favorite customer," McGuinness said. "He will be sorely missed."

Her words brought chuckles from those attending the service Thursday at St. Peter's Episcopal Church. The service was nearly void of tears, but full of smiles.

Weeks worked for the Nevada Department of Corrections as assistant director of support services, retiring in 1997 after 10 years. Soon after, he began racing in the Legends division at Silver State Raceway sporting the number 60 on his car - his age. He enjoyed being the "senior" racer of the group. Speed was his element. Weeks won a few races and he lost a few races. And he crashed his car a few times.

Peggy Rupert recalled visiting Weeks' home one day, saying George "lived in his garage." She also noticed a coffee table with his broad collection of remote controls, all individually wrapped in plastic.

"Well, Margaret (his name for her), I don't want dust to accumulate between the buttons," Weeks told her.

Throughout Weeks' battle against leukemia, his wife, Un, never left his side. The morning of Feb. 24, 2007, while in the hospital, George told his nurse he had a talk with his grandmother that morning and that he was going to see her that night.

He died Saturday evening. He is survived by his wife of 19 years; sons George M. Weeks IV of Hawaii and John Howard Weeks of Los Angeles, and three grandsons.

"He had a heart of gold," said Barbara Gurney.

• Contact Rhonda Costa-Landers at rcosta-landers@nevadaappeal.com or 881-1223.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment