A Carson City man pleaded guilty Tuesday to having marijuana in his system last year when he rolled his vehicle on Deer Run Road, killing both of his passengers.
Billy Joe Thompson, 25, entered guilty pleas to two counts of felony driving under the influence of drugs causing death before Carson City District Judge Bill Maddox.
On Feb. 16, 2006, Thompson was southbound when he lost control of his 2004 Dodge Neon and went into a broadside skid, careening into a rock and cement pillar. According to the report by the Nevada Highway Patrol, his speed on the residential east Carson city street was listed in excess of 80 mph at the time of the crash.
Passengers Eric Thompson, 18, no relation to the driver, and Ashley Masek, 20, were pronounced dead at the scene. Billy Joe Thompson was able to pull himself from the wreckage and was uninjured.
According to the criminal complaint, driver Thompson had 32 nanograms of marijuana in his blood within two hours of the accident. The legal limit is 2 nanograms.
He could be given to up to 40 years in prison when sentenced May 15.
Also before Maddox on Tuesday:
• Ricky Dean Scheffelman, 45, was sentenced to 19 to 48 months in prison on a charge of indecent or obscene exposure. According to the arrest report, Scheffelman allegedly entered the Naughty and Nice retail store in 1500 block of Fairview Drive and while in the adult video section, pleasured himself, then flashed the clerk. Scheffelman has a prior conviction for a similar offense. He cried as he asked the judge for leniency. "I want more than anything to get to the bottom of this problem because I don't want to be this person."
• Mike Mancillas, 38, pleaded guilty to assault with a deadly weapon. He faces 12 to 48 months in prison when sentenced April 24.
• Teresa Wendy Miranda-Sotelo, 43, was sentenced to 12 to 30 months in prison on three felony charges of obtaining money under false pretenses. The former surgical nurse and mother of five must also pay over $12,000 in restitution. She was given credit for 97 days time served.
• Sue Helen Balthus, 55, was given probation for up to five years with a suspended prison sentence of 12 to 36 months on a charge of embezzlement. She must also pay more than $1,700 in restitution.
• Danny Edward Boydston, 43, was given probation for up to three years with a suspended prison sentence of 12 to 30 months.
• Miguel Angel Cruz, 27, pleaded guilty to third-offense drunken driving.
• Matthew Ichiro Gigantino, 36, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to utter a forged instrument.
• Contact reporter F.T. Norton at email@example.com or 881-1213.