Seven people have applied for the position of county recorder, which will be vacated today when Werner Christen retires after 30 years of working for the county.
At their Thursday meeting, Douglas County commissioners will appoint a new recorder to fill the remainder of Werner's term, which expires in 2010.
The following candidates have applied:
- Zephyr Cove resident Stephen Atkinson, 56, has lived in the Lake Tahoe area for 18 years. He is a title officer for Marquis Title and Escrow in Gardnerville. He attended Orange Coast College and is working towards a degree in business administration.
- Gardnerville resident Mark Brewer, 48, has lived in the Valley for four years. He is a certified mortgage planning specialist and broker. He earned a degree in business administration from California State Polytechnic and graduated from the U.S. Marine Corps's amphibious warfare program.
- Patricia Christian, 53, is a Foothill resident who has worked for the state of Nevada for 10 years. She is currently a property appraiser for the department of taxation. She's lived in Carson Valley for 12 years.
- Gardnerville resident Karen Ellison, 50, has lived in the Valley for 16 years. She is a title officer for Stewart Title of Nevada Holdings, Inc. in Minden. She has a degree in business administration from the University of Montana.
- Gardnerville resident Erin Inman, 39, has lived in Carson Valley since she was 12. She is the chief deputy recorder for Douglas County and is working toward a business administration degree through the University of Phoenix.
- Gardnerville resident Anthony Spotts, 28, was born and raised in Douglas County. He is a data entry clerk who works in both government and private sectors in Carson City. Spotts earned a law degree from the University of Indiana and a bachelor's degree in political science from University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
- Gardnerville resident Virgil Strong II, 41, has lived in the Valley for four years. He is an ice cream producer and delivery truck driver for Tahoe Creamery in Minden. He has an associate's degree from Great Basin College, a bachelor's degree in business administration from University of Phoenix, and is working towards a master's degree in public administration.
- Christian, Spotts and Strong II applied for the position of county clerk about a month ago, which was filled by third-generation Nevadan Ted Thran.
Werner has recommended that Inman, current deputy recorder, be appointed to the recorder position.
The county recorder is responsible for organizing and preserving county documents. The position starts at $71,650 a year.