Some suggestions for this weekend and next couple of weeks around Carson City and elsewhere. Check entries in the daily Nevada Appeal for more details, but this should be enough for planning. Also, see nevadaappeal.com or tahoe.com for updates of video games, movie news, TV shows or specials, musical events and reviews.
Sam Bauman, entertainment editor
- The excellent musical comedy "Damn Yankees" continues at the Carson City Community Center Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. Beautifully staged by the Western Nevada Musical Theater Company. Friday through May 18, Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. There is also a matinee Saturday May 17 at 2 p.m. Tickets: Those who have "reserve as you go" season tickets, call to make your reservations. Ticket prices are $18 for general admission, $16 for students and seniors, and $14 for youths 17 and under. Call 445-4249.
- A new double-feature of films featuring the favorite actresses of yesterday and today airs on RetroPlex each Sunday night through May. At 8 p.m. "The King and I" (Deborah Kerr, Yul Brynner, Rita Moreno); 10:20 p.m. "Separate Tables "(Deborah Kerr, David Niven, Burt Lancaster)
- On the stage:
- Carrie Underwood comes to the Reno Events Center at 7:30 p.m. Monday May 19. Tickets are $35 to $55 at 787-8497. You all know who she is, recently inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame. She's preceded by Wayne Brady Saturday.
- If all the bad economic news is getting you down, maybe some comedy is what you need. Try Fielding West at the Silver Legacy's Catch a Rising Star through Sunday (325-7401) for $20.50. Rocky LaPorte at the Improv at Harveys through Sunday, $25, (800) 427-8397. And the lineup at Tahoe Comedy North in Crystal Bay is Fielding West, Del Van Dyke, Aaron Wilson and Justin Worsham, $15, call 833-6330.
- And in a class of its own, "Yesterday " a Tribute to the Beatles" plays at the Horizon in Stateline at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday at 8:30 p.m. A special Sgt. Pepper shows has been added for 10:30 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are $22, call 588-6211.
- At the Carson Nugget it's Melissa Dru through Sunday, no cover. Carson Station offers Shake, Rattle and Roll through Sunday, Stew Stewart follows on Tuesday. Chris Costa plays at the Grand Sierra.
- Hot Tuna with Jim Lauderdale appears at the Crystal Bay Casino Saturday at 9 p.m., tickets are $27 at 833-6333.
- Bowfire is the Total String Experience ... Virtuosity in the hands of masters. The hottest new show to hit the stage is quickly becoming a major international success. It is at once an exceptionally high quality music experience and a fast-paced theatrically staged show. It appears Friday, May 23 at the Grand Sierra Casino in Reno at 8 p.m. Purchase tickets by calling our Box Office at (800) 648-3568.
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis plays Saturday July 5 at 8 p.m. Artown and Grand Sierra Resort present Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with special guest Marsalis. The world-renowned Jazz at Lincoln Center is dedicated to inspiring and growing audiences for jazz. The Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, composed of 15 of today's finest jazz soloists and ensemble players, has been the Jazz at Lincoln Center resident orchestra for over 13 years. GRAMMY-Award winning Artistic Director Wynton Marsalis lends both classical and jazz leadership to the orchestra. Call (800) 648-3568.
- "FloorPlay" is a hot dance show at the Eldorado in Reno these days. Natch, it's an offspring from the TV dance shows without the name dancers. But reportedly it "mixes a youthful flair with the sensual and the physical chemistry of ballroom and Latin dancing." It's probably the bast show the Eldorado has housed in a long time. Even if you don't dig ballroom dancing, this is great fun. Tickets are $29.95 to $43.95 at 786-5700. Believe it or not, Greg London's "Icons" is still playing at Harrah's Reno. Quick costume changes are the key to this show. Call 788-2900, tickets are $29.95-$39.95.
- George Winston, he of the romantic piano, appears at the Pioneer Center for the Performing Arts in Reno July 20 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $32 in advance, $35 on show date. Tickets are the Pioneer Center.
- Slot Machines: The Fey Collection from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Nevada State Museum, 600 N. Carson St. In the South Changing Gallery, held over by popular demand. Call 687-4810, ext. 239 or 245.
- The CCAI Courthouse Gallery, 885 E. Musser St., will show artist Galen Brown's free show, "Waves: Line and Rhythm." The show will continue through May 23. See www.rts-initive.org. The gallery is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Contact Sam Bauman at Sbauman@nevadaappeal.com or 881-1236.