Police: Drunk man drives over security guard at Nugget

A Minden man was jailed Tuesday night after he allegedly ran over a casino security guard who was trying to stop him from driving drunk.

Richard Harold Seaman, 69, is being held in the Carson City Jail on suspicion of felony battery with a deadly weapon causing substantial bodily harm, drunken driving causing substantial bodily harm, misdemeanor hit and run and related charges.

According to the arrest report, security officers Chris Comley, 32, and Scott Cronk, 24, approached Seaman in the keno lounge at the Carson Nugget about 6 p.m. because he was "using obscene language and being belligerent."

Comley , Cronk and a third security officer followed Seaman outside and watched him "stumble" to a Toyota truck and get inside, the report states.

A few moments later, surveillance cameras capture Seaman as he emerges from that truck, gets into another similar looking truck and starts to back out, said Carson City Sheriff's Sgt. Earl Mays.

Security stopped Seaman's pickup in the parking lot, the report states. Seaman allegedly got out and pushed Comley in the chest. He then got back in the truck and "accelerated the vehicle, striking (Cronk) ... and pushing him down to the ground."

Seamen then allegedly drove over Cronk, struck a vehicle in the parking lot and fled south on Stewart Street. Seamen also allegedly pinned Comley between the truck and a lightpole, said Mays.

"When I got there (Cronk) actually had tire marks on his back," Mays said.

Comley was treated and released from Carson Tahoe Regional Medical Center.

Cronk was flown to the trauma center at Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno where he was treated and has since been released, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Seaman was traced to his Minden home through his license plate and arrested. According to the report, he was uncooperative when asked to take a field sobriety test.

Seaman allegedly told officers he was a former Los Angeles police officer and South Lake Tahoe lieutenant, although neither of those agencies have any record of him.

Seaman remained in custody Wednesday on $70,000 bail.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment