Take pride in Carson and get rid of your junk for free

Carson Pride Week is set for April 12-16. The event gives residents a chance to dispose of junk and debris for free at the landfill, said Darren Selby, operations manager for the Public Works Department.

"It's an effort to clean up and help beautify our community," Selby said.

Carson Pride Week includes the following programs:

• Senior Junk Haul -

1-800-GOT-JUNK? will offer up to three free bookings of junk removal a day to elderly or disabled Carson City residents. Restrictions apply. Call 887-8898 for an appointment.

• Carson City Landfill - Open free to Carson City residents April 16-17 and 23-24. No commercial loads. Also, the landfill accepts recyclable items including car batteries, waste oil and antifreeze up to five gallons. Tires will be limited to four per vehicle. For information, call 882-6066 or 887-2355.

• Carson City Street Operations Pickup - Carson City Street Operations will pick up free any bundled yard waste in Carson City that is set at curbside from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 12-15. Residents must call 887-2355 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. April 5-9 to set up a time for pick up. Garden and yard debris only; no furniture, appliances or lumber and no ash or burned materials. Tree limbs must be in bundles and no bigger than 6 feet long and 4 inches in diameter. Bags and bundles cannot exceed 60 pounds.

• Wreck Riddance - Pick-N-Pull will tow away old vehicles for free as long as the VIN number is visible, and the property owner signs a release or a title. Call Pick-N-Pull at 882-7772.

• Recycling - Take cans, glass, newspapers, cardboard and plastic to the Carson City Landfill Recycling Center. Take any reusable household or clothing items to Carson City Senior Citizen Thrift Store, F.I.S.H., OARC, Classy Seconds or the Salvation Army.

• Household Hazardous Waste - To dispose of pesticides, herbicides, paints, old gasoline, etc., call for a pick-up appointment at 887-2355. Free for Carson City residents.

• Open Burn - The Carson City Fire Department will allow open burning March 20 through April 17. Carson City residents must obtain a burn permit from one of the fire stations or online at www.carson-city.nv.us


Permission may be revoked because of weather conditions or fire restrictions.

For more information, call 887-2220.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment