A fire ignited by a spark from a grinder destroyed a Carson Colony home Sunday, leaving four homeless.
Crews were called out to 401 Waialaki St., off Curry Street, about 2:30 p.m. on a report of a brush fire, said Carson City Fire Battalion Chief Bob Charles.
When firefighters arrived, the home was fully engulfed in flames. Because the transformer feeding electricity to the property didn't turn off, firefighters were unable to enter the structure, said Charles. But an off-duty state trooper who'd cleared the residence before the fire crews arrived reported that no one was inside. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the home, which was a complete loss, said Charles.
He said the fire started after a neighbor, preparing do some welding, used a grinder on metal, which threw out a spark.
"That lit the cheat grass and it just took off," said Charles.
A Carson City fire fighter was treated and released from the hospital for heat exhaustion.
The Red Cross was called out to assist the family.