SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) - San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy vehemently denied there was any truth to a report that appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle on Wednesday morning suggesting left-hander Barry Zito is not assured a spot on the Giants' roster this season.
Bochy, who addressed the media before Wednesday night's spring training game against an Arizona Diamondbacks split squad, said Zito remains his No. 4 starter and told him so in a meeting earlier in the day.
Bochy also said there have never been any talks suggesting otherwise.
"Believe me, there has been no conversation anywhere near what the article was about," Bochy said.
The Chronicle quoted unidentified sources close to the team indicating "exasperation" with the former AL Cy Young Award winner and said his place in the rotation was "definitely not safe."
Zito is 40-57 with a 4.45 ERA in his first four years with the Giants after signing a $126 million, seven-year contract before the 2007 season. He was left off the postseason roster for all three rounds last year as the Giants won their first World Series title since 1954.