Young crash victim continues to recover

After a serious car crash two weeks ago - the first day of her junior year at Carson High School - 16-year-old Tiffany Day remains in critical but stable condition at Renown Medical Center in Reno.

Although doctors haven't offered a prognosis, Tiffany's mother is certain.

"She is a fighter," Stephanie Day said Monday. "She is strong. That is what is going to pull her through."

According to police reports, Tiffany drove north through a red light on Carson Street at the intersection with Koontz Lane at 3:16 p.m. on Aug. 27.

Her car was grazed by an oncoming driver. Tiffany was ejected from the driver's side window and her car rolled onto her. She was not wearing a seat belt, the Nevada Highway Patrol reported.

Her passenger walked away from the crash, as did the driver of the second vehicle.

Stephanie said the family is grateful to all who helped, from the first responders to perfect strangers, including the driver who struck her car.

"He jumped out and ran to her," Stephanie said. "We don't even know his name. We just want to be able to publicly say thank you to him."

A bystander, Stephanie said, offered comfort to Tiffany's passenger while she waited.

Tiffany is suffering from a head injury, broken pelvis, broken collar bone and trauma to her lungs, as well as pneumonia she recently contracted, her mom said.

Stephanie is confident her daughter is in good hands.

"The doctors and nurses and the other staff at Renown Trauma ICU and ER are phenomenal," she said. "They're not just OK. They're not great. They're phenomenal. She is receiving amazing care."

Tiffany remains sedated to allow her body to heal. Stephanie and Mark Day spend their days by their daughter's side, either next to her bed or in the waiting room.

"It's day by day," Stephanie said. "We have our ups and downs. It has been a long 14 days."

But they're celebrating all the victories along the way. Since the crash, Tiffany's family has not been allowed to speak to her or touch her to avoid any sort of stimulation.

"I would just sit in the chair and watch her for hours," Stephanie said. "But as of yesterday I get to hold her hand and talk to her. It's amazing."

The youngest of four children, Tiffany has been surrounded by family during her recovery.

"Everybody has totally rallied together," Stephanie said. "The first two days at the hospital, you could not fit another person in the waiting room."

The community has buoyed the family as well.

"Our family, friends, CHS staff and students, co-workers and others in the community have helped us through this so far," Stephanie said. "We can't begin to thank them enough."

The support, she said, has strengthened them through dark hours.

"It's the hardest thing as a mom, not being able to make it all go away," she said. "You want to be able to make it all go away."

They find comfort in thinking about their playful girl, who is also kind and generous. Tiffany has volunteered at the Robin's Nest Day Care since she was 12 and served as manager of both the track and volleyball teams.

"She's funny, she's energetic. She says these goofy, off-the-wall things. We all just shake our heads and giggle at her," Stephanie said. "She's an absolutely amazing kid."

And they look forward to the day she returns to that.

"I just know she wants to talk," Stephanie said. "Anyone who knows her knows she is a talker. When she wakes up, I'm sure she's going to wake up talking."


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment