3 suspects in slaying arrive in Carson City

Shannon Litz / Nevada Appeal

Shannon Litz / Nevada Appeal

LAS VEGAS — Three former fugitives arrived in Carson City Tuesday night to face murder charges in the slaying of Nevada’s chief insurance examiner.

Carson City sheriff’s detectives were in a Las Vegas courtroom earlier in the day to take custody of Anthony Elliot, Makyla Blackmore and Raul Garcia following their appearance by videoconference before a judge, a court official said. They arrived back in Carson City shortly before 8 p.m.

Elliot and Blackmore, both 20, and Garcia, 22, had been held at the Clark County jail as fugitives and didn’t face local charges, said Chryste Domingo, executive aide to Justice of the Peace Joe M. Bonaventure. They weren’t represented by lawyers Tuesday.

The three were arrested Saturday in Las Vegas and Michael Paul Evans, 23, was arrested in Carson City on murder warrants in the slaying of William McCune, 62.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office found his missing pickup, a maroon 2000 Dodge Dakota, Monday afternoon. The truck was found near Holbrook Junction and its license plates were found in a Carson residence.

Evans told detectives he knocked on McCune’s door Tuesday evening, April 2, and asked to use the restroom. McCune offered Evans a drink and the two were drinking when two of the other suspects came to McCune’s apartment, and then the three suspects beat McCune with various objects, according to the arrest report.

They then allegedly tied McCune up with duct tape and stole a truckload of his property, hauling it in his pickup. The three then returned, attempted to clean up the apartment and dumped McCune’s body in the Carson River, according to the arrest report. McCune’s body was recovered Saturday.

At least one of the four suspects knew McCune, although that was not related to his work for the state, Sheriff Ken Furlong said.

Co-workers reported McCune missing Thursday after he was a no-show for work Wednesday and did not board a flight with a co-worker Thursday.

It could take several weeks for blood test results to help determine McCune’s cause of death, Carson City Coroner Ruth Rhines said Monday.

McCune had been the Nevada Division of Insurance chief examiner since December 2009. He oversaw whether companies had sufficient money in reserves to cover claims and obligations.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment