High five

Fallon's Fidel Enriquez scored five goals during the Wave's 10-1 win over Fernley on Wednesday at the Edward Arciniega Complex.

Fallon's Fidel Enriquez scored five goals during the Wave's 10-1 win over Fernley on Wednesday at the Edward Arciniega Complex.

A flick here, a burst there and just like that, Fidel Enriquez tallied five goals.

Enriquez’s performance guided the Fallon boys soccer team to a 10-1 rout over the visiting Fernley Vaqueros on Wednesday in a Northern Division I-A match.

Coming off a 2-2 tie against Lowry on Tuesday, the Greenwave (1-1-1) got back to their winning ways against an unmatched Fernley squad.

Enriquez’s opened the onslaught three minutes into the match with a blast past Fernley’s goalkeeper. Fernley, though, tied the match at 1 on a rebound from a penalty kick after a handball in the goal box.

“I’ve never had five goals in a game before, so that felt really great,” Enriquez said. “I’m happy for how the whole team played. Yesterday (Tuesday) we could’ve won also but there were a lot of errors. I had still had that in my mind because we should’ve won.”

Despite the brief challenge, the Greenwave — led by Enriquez — provided too much firepower. Enriquez, Tristan Parrott and Corbin Waite gave the Vaqueros defense fits throughout the first half.

“They are kids who will look around and notice the whole field,” Fallon coach Nate Waite said. “We got to build things together. They made a conscious effort to do that.”

Despite the rout, a focus for the Nate Waite’s club was to get more touches on the ball and rotate in several JV players who were called up.

“I was happy that we started shooting more,” he said. “We were able to pull some junior varsity kids up and they were able to get some experience. It builds a link and strength for upcoming years.”

Nate Waite challenged several players even through the blowout. The long-time coach does not want complancency to set it, so he put those individuals on the spot.

“They have to show they have the desire to be on the field,” Nate Waite explained. “We are always in competition with each other.”

Tied at 1, Parrott began the scoring blitzkrieg with an unbelievable goal coming off a sharp angle. Streaking down the right side, Parrott blasted the ball, which found the top left corner of the net to give Fallon a 2-1 lead with 17 minutes left. Parrott also added two assists.

Minutes later, Enriquez struck gold again as he one-timed a pass from Pedro Barajas for a 3-1 lead. Barajas suffered an ankle injury minutes later and did not return.

Fallon, though, exploded for seven goals in the second half including three by Enriquez and two from Austin Bischoff.

Enriquez’s third goal of the match was another volley, this time receiving the ball from Parrott. Waite got on the board after a harmless grounder scooted under Fernley’s keeper and trickled into the back of the net.

Bischoff, though, perhaps had the most glamorous and controversial goal of the match. Dribbling down the left side, he spun around one defender and launched the ball into the top right corner.

The ball appeared to fly just above the crossbar and hit the back post of the goal. The referee, however, convened with his line judge and the goal stood.

UP NEXT: Fallon will host Dayton at 5 p.m. on Tuesday and South Tahoe at 5 p.m. on Thursday.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment