Students at Fremont Elementary School were evacuated around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday after officials smelled a suspicious odor, which was later determined to be glycol — a substance similar to antifreeze — leaking from the school’s boiler system.
“It wasn’t harmful,” said Carson City Fire Chief Stacey Giomi. “It was just an odd smell.”
Students were dismissed shortly after because of parent-teacher conferences.
Although it turned out to be a false alarm, Giomi said the school acted according to protocol.
“The school did exactly the right thing,” he said. “They did exactly what they should have done.”