Truckee runs past Lady Wave

Truckee's Natalie Seelenfreund races past Fallon's Madison Perazzo during the Wolverines' 3-0 on Tuesday.

Truckee's Natalie Seelenfreund races past Fallon's Madison Perazzo during the Wolverines' 3-0 on Tuesday.

This time, it wasn’t a rout.

Nevertheless, the Fallon girls soccer team still could not solve the Truckee defense.

The Wolverines continued their winning streak over the Lady Wave with a 3-0 win on Tuesday at the Edward Arciniega Complex.

Truckee’s win streak is at four straight wins including a 7-0 win at the Galena tournament to open the season. Fallon, though, has not scored against Truckee in six matches spanning two years.

“We didn’t play our normal speed,” Truckee coach Travis Spencer said. “I think training in the smoke … they are dragging. They fought through it, played the ball the way we like to play it.”

The Wolverines struck early with a goal by Marcelle Reynaud off an assist by Emma Warren. Truckee found the net again in the 27th minute when Hannah Seppi dribbled down the left side, through the defense and nudged a pass to Evelyn Pena, who tapped the ball in for the easy goal and a 2-0 lead.

The Wolverines iced the game two minutes into the second half when Tessa Manahan cleaned up a rebound and punched in the ball for the final goal.

“As a team, we did pretty good,” Spencer said. “The team that wins the midfield, wins the game.”

Fallon, meanwhile, attempted to rally as the offense finally was able to sustain possession and work through Truckee’s midfield.

Savannah Sweeney attempted to answer, but her shot from outside the goal box fluttered just over the crossbar in the 43rd minute.

Lady Wave forward Britney Wallace broke free down the left side and unleashed a shot, although the angle was too sharp to get past the goalkeeper in the 45th minute. Rebecca Mills, who has played sparingly the past two weeks due to injury, blasted a shot off her left foot, but once again Fallon was denied.

“As soon as they scored, we just started kicking the ball,” Fallon coach Kelly Spicer said. “They didn’t give up … buy they got to understand we meet them in a month and we have to get better.”

Truckee, meanwhile, nearly added a fourth goal when Seppi was fouled in the box on an unintentionally trip by Wallace. Manahan, though, blasted the penalty kick over the crossbar.

The Wolverines’ pressure was unrelenting throughout most of the match, as Truckee used crisp passing, speed and spacing to dominant possession.

Fallon, meanwhile, struggled to keep possession losing the ball after too many touches and wild passes.

“Our first touches have to be better or we are not going (anywhere),” Spicer said. “Kids are still afraid to go to the ball. You have to go to the ball.”

Fallon visits South Tahoe on Saturday, while Truckee hosts Fernley on Tuesday.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment