Brush fire ignites in Carson City

Nevada Energy works to restore power to the area Thursday night.

Nevada Energy works to restore power to the area Thursday night.

The red flag warning predicted for Carson City Thursday proved to be much more than a warning.

About 5:30 p.m. a brush fire ignited in a field near Clear Creek Avenue and Silver Sage Drive in south Carson City. Crews from all over Northern Nevada worked for several hours battling a brush fire in south Carson City. By 9 p.m. crews had the main flames out, with crews focusing on hot spots and ember flareups during the overnight hours. However, containment is at zero percent, said Belt. There was no estimate Thursday night of the size of the fire.

Crews from Carson City, Douglas County, California, East Fork, Sparks, Reno, Lake Tahoe, Nevada Highway Patrol, Bureau of Land Management and Public Works were all called in to help assist Washoe Tribal.

Strong winds created a major concern while battling the fires, blowing embers and creating several spot fires and flare-ups as well as pushing the fire toward homes.

“We need more engines and equipment because we are fighting the wind,” said Stacey Belt, Carson City Fire Department public information officer. “Our number one goal is to protect the community and save homes.”

The fire started in the sagebrush in a field, which also created problems for crews, as it contained a lot of fuel from the brush and organic material.

Crews were concerned with how close the flames were coming to some residences, and began evacuating people around 7:30 p.m. to Fuji Park where the Salvation Army was stationed to provide food and water to the residents. Sixty-five homes were evacuated. They were expected to be allowed back to their homes after midnight, Belt said.

Authorities were forced to relocate their command center from Silver Sage Drive and De Lah E Deh to Clear Creek Avenue and Dat So La Lee Way because of approaching flames. Roads around the area were closed to traffic, however, US 395 stayed open throughout.

A structure protection unit was placed in front of the homes to attempt to stop the loss of any structures, said City Manager Nick Marano.

“The fire departments are doing a heroic job,” Marano said.

No active structures were lost and no injuries were sustained.

About 200 people lost power, according to NV Energy. Power was expected to be restored about midnight.

The cause of the fire was under investigation.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment