A single case of coronavirus in Douglas High School’s varsity football program will result in a 10-day quarantine under the state’s emergency directives.
The Tigers were scheduled to play Damonte High School on Friday with a crowd that was permitted to expand to 250 people for the first time.
Superintendent Keith Lewis said that the district is working with health officials and the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association.
“Every case has its own level of complexity and we always work with our local health officials to identify close contacts,” Lewis said. “We are taking every step as recommended by local health authorities to contain the spread. At this time our focus is on ensuring the safety and well-being of our students and staff.”
All varsity football activities and practices have been cancelled until further notice.
Lewis said the district found out about the exposure at a Tuesday morning test and that the district plans to test again on Friday.
“There’s a possibility that if testing goes well and there’s no sign of spread, that on Saturday we could play,” Lewis said.
A drive-through testing for team members and coaches is set for Friday afternoon and the district will determine its status.
Any decision to play will be up to the state association.
On Tuesday morning, health officials conducted a community testing event in Gardnerville that didn’t appear to draw much of a crowd.
Earlier this week, Douglas was the sole Nevada county to drop below the 8 percent 14-day testing positivity, flagging it for two of three criteria in the state’s tracker for elevated disease criteria.The county also has a case rate larger than 200, joining seven other Nevada counties.