Carson City Supervisor Karen Abowd hosting monthly Walkabout
September 17, 2018
Carson City Supervisor, Ward 1, Karen Abowd hosts her monthly Walkabout Friday, Sept. 21, at Mills Park. This is her next to last event, prior to leaving office in November, and while all topics are welcomed, Abowd would like to focus as much time as possible on discussing the affordable housing crisis.
"During my time in office and before, I committed to and have worked toward creating a community where our young people would have opportunity and would want to stay once they became adults, completed their education and such," she said. "Today, we're in a situation where there are many job opportunities, but wages are not commensurate with housing costs, and we have a housing shortage both of which affects many, not just our young people. As a result, people have not only been priced out of possible home ownership, but have little option when it comes to rent, which has become prohibitive, and in many cases are having to decide whether to pay rent or eat — a situation that must be addressed immediately."
Everyone is invited to join the conversation, and bring ideas, questions and concerns. To participate, meet at noon on the steps of Carson City Community Center. Take a sack lunch if desired.
Trending In: Announcements
- Carson City Greenhouse Garden Center hosting annual landscape design workshop
- Firewood-cutting permits available in Carson City area
- Pirates, Pins and Pints: Bowling fundraiser to benefit area seniors
- Central Lyon County Fire District lifts burning restrictions
- Exhibit tells stories behind vintage clothing at Dangberg Historic Park