Firewood-cutting permits available in Carson City area |

Firewood-cutting permits available in Carson City area

Pinyon pine and Utah Juniper firewood cutting permits are available for $10 a cord at Bureau of Land Management locations around the state.

Only dead trees – standing or down – may be cut. Woodcutters are advised to stay on existing roads and bring a fire extinguisher, a shovel and a bucket of water while cutting wood. Chainsaws must be equipped with spark arrestors.

Cash or checks are accepted; the Carson City office, 5665 Morgan Mill Road, accepts credit card orders in person or over the phone.

Permits are also available at Carson Valley Chamber of Commerce in Gardnerville and UNR Cooperative Extension in Fallon; Galena Creek Visitor Center in Reno and Alpine County Chamber of Commerce in Markleeville.

For more information, call Coreen Francis at 775-885-6161. Report permit violations at 775-885-6000.