Free lecture about Milky Way planned at Western Nevada College Observatory
November 3, 2016
Although it is among billions of galaxies in the universe, the Milky Way has long been a curiosity for humans because of the way it glows and arches across the night sky.
Lecturer Mike Thomas will illuminate more information about the wonders of the Milky Way during his free lecture at Western Nevada College's Jack C. Davis Observatory on Saturday, Nov. 12.
In addition to learning more about Earth's home galaxy, Thomas will complement his lecture with many amazing Hubble Space Telescope photographs. His lecture is scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m., with doors opening to the public at 6 p.m.
Thomas has offered free lectures at the observatory for the past decade. He delivers as many as 20 history and science lectures per month in Northern Nevada.
"I like to give lectures on timely topics," Thomas has previously said. "My lectures at the observatory are part of my commitment as a member of the astronomy society."
Thomas served as president of the Western Nevada Astronomical Society for seven years.
Recommended Stories For You
When lectures aren't scheduled, the observatory is open to the public on Saturdays from sundown to 11 p.m. The Western Nevada Astronomical Society hosts Star Parties at this time to provide people with an interest in astronomy an opportunity to meet.
The observatory is located at 2699 Van Patten Drive in Carson City.
Trending In: Announcements
- 2018 GE Family Concert Series kicking off in Minden with Journey tribute band
- Supreme Court candidate Leon Aberasturi to be Dems luncheon speaker
- Ag Innovation Forum in Minden to cover weeds, critters and insects
- Douglas County Public Library’s summer reading program to start June 11
- Douglas County candidates to be feature in forum May 3
- Chicago-flavor restaurant coming to Carson City
- NV Energy CEO criticizes Energy Choice amendment
- 2018 Primary Election guide: Justice of the Supreme Court, Seat C
- Cardoza pleads guilty to second-degree murder in 2013 Carson City case
- Arrest for using cell phone while driving, says Carson City Sheriff’s Office