Virginia City’s World Championship Outhouse Races to return Oct. 6-7
September 11, 2018
The sight of outhouses barreling down the street in an all-out potty race would be odd anywhere, but not in historic Virginia City.
This annual tradition, the World Championship Outhouse Races, takes place the first weekend of October and pits teams of three costumed outhouse racers against each other in an all-out sprint down the town's historic main street towards the toilet paper finish line.
This is the 29th year for the event, which is scheduled for Oct. 6-7. Teams from all over the country come to compete in the racing spectacle.
Festivities kick off at noon Oct. 6 with a parade of outhouses down C Street and races immediately following.
The racing action continues Oct. 7 at noon and concludes with the crowning of the champion outhouse racing team.
Competition is open to anyone 18 and older and teams of three must provide their own outhouse to race. Registration is open online.
Recommended Stories For You
The World Championship Outhouse Races are sponsored by Dolan Auto Group, Coors Light, Bucket of Blood Saloon and Cemetery Gin.
For information, call the Visitors Center at 775-847-7500.
Trending In: Announcements
- Public comment sought on Costco air quality operating permit
- Tractor Supply in Carson City hosting fall farmers market
- NV Energy offering $50 to recycle old refrigerators
- Discussion in Carson City to cover new trends in Alzheimer’s, dementia care
- Display highlights changes of Carson City’s historic sites