Assembly leadership names committee chairs for 2007 session
Democrats Wednesday announced the chairmen of the Assembly’s committees for the 2007 Legislature – including a newly created Select Committee on Corrections, Parole & Probation.
In addition, the Taxation Committee was reinstated and the Growth and Infrastructure Committee, which operated during the 2005 session, eliminated.
Speaker Barbara Buckley of Las Vegas said with experienced committee chairs, “We are looking forward to a very productive session where we seriously tackle the issues that really matter to the future of our state.”
Her number two will be John Oceguera of Las Vegas as majority leader with Bernie Anderson of Sparks Speaker Pro Tempore.
The full list of committee chairs and vice chairs follows:
• Commerce and Labor: Chair John Oceguera, vice chair Marcus Conklin of Las Vegas.
• Education: Chair Bonnie Parnell of Carson City, vice chair Debbie Smith of Sparks.
• Elections, Procedures and Ethics: Chair Ellen Koivisto of Las Vegas, vice chair Harry Mortenson of Las Vegas.
• Constitutional Amendments: Chair Harry Mortenson of Las Vegas, vice chair Koivisto.
• Government Affairs: Chair Marilyn Kirkpatrick of North Las Vegas, vice chair Peggy Pierce of Las Vegas.
• Health and Human Services: Chair Sheila Leslie of Reno, vice chair Susan Gerhardt of Henderson.
• Judiciary: Chair Anderson, vice chair William Horne of Las Vegas.
• Natural Resources, Agriculture and Mining: Chair Jerry Claborn of Las Vegas, vice chair Joe Hogan of Las Vegas.
• Select Committee on Corrections, Parole and Probation: Chair David Parks of Las Vegas, vice chair Anderson.
• Taxation: Chair Kathy McClain of Las Vegas, vice chair Parks.
• Transportation: Chair Kelvin Atkinson of North Las Vegas, vice chair Mark Manendo of Las Vegas.
• Ways and Means: Chair Morse Arberry Jr. of Las Vegas, vice chair Leslie.
The full list of committee memberships including Republican Assemblymen will be worked out in the next week or so.
• Contact reporter Geoff Dornan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 687-8750.