Business briefs |

Business briefs

Eaglemark Savings Bank has donated $7,500 to Nevada Rural Housing Authority to support the authority’s financial literacy education workshops in Douglas and Lyon counties.

Nevada Rural Housing Authority’s Financial Literacy Program is creating a network of professionals from financial institutions, real estate agencies, schools, libraries, and local businesses in rural Nevada that will assist the housing authority in providing education and support to people who want to improve their financial future.

Educational modules include budgeting, banking services and consumer rights, credit repair, personal savings planning, predatory lending, and homebuyer classes. Long and short-term financial counseling is also available so that families can create sound financial plans, repair their credit rating, and prepare for homeownership.

Dayton company picked for Jet Ranch project build

Valley Construction Co. has been named the design build general contractor for The Jet Ranch Project at the Carson City Airport. Licata/Hansen will be the project architects.

The Jet Ranch is a design-build, 82,400 square foot facility on 3.3 acres at the east end of the Carson City Airport. The 12-building complex will feature a customized private aircraft hangar and 11 for lease or rent aircraft hangar facilities and is valued at $8.5 million.

At completion, The Jet Ranch will be Carson City Airport’s largest private aircraft facility built to date. Groundbreaking is scheduled for June 15. Project completion is scheduled for March 15, 2008.

Project owner is KCXP Investments located in Dayton.

Make sure your contractor has a Nevada license

Contracting without a license in Nevada is a misdemeanor for the first offense, a gross misdemeanor for the second offense and a Class E felony for the third offense.

Homeowners should not use unlicensed contractors because their work is generally poor quality, they are often uninsured and may not maintain workman’s compensation coverage for their employees, and the homeowner may be liable for all injuries to workers.

Homeowners who use unlicensed contractors are not eligible for the Residential Recovery Fund, and by law their contracts are null and void.

Consumers can check whether a contractor is licensed by calling: 688-1141 in Northern Nevada or (702) 486-1100 in Southern Nevada.

License checks can also be conducted on the NSCB Web site at:

Source: Nevada Contractors Board