Chili’s coming to northeast Carson |

Chili’s coming to northeast Carson

Becky Bosshart
Appeal Staff Writer

Chili’s Grill & Bar is the first national chain restaurant planning to build in the Wal-Mart shopping center in northeast Carson City, according to plans submitted to the city building department.

This will be the national chain’s first restaurant in Carson City. The closest location is at 3784 Highway 395 South in Douglas County, which is in front of the Wal-Mart there.

“We’re reviewing the plans for code compliance,” said Kevin Gattis, Carson City chief building official. “When that’s complete we’d be in a position to issue a permit to build.”

He has not yet seen a construction schedule.

The 5,900-square-foot restaurant will be located at East College Parkway and Market Street in front of the supercenter, according to plans submitted to the city on July 26. The site is 1.1 acres and is owned by local developer Al Bernhard, who declined to comment.

The developer has built two buildings on his six acres beside Wal-Mart, and those spots are filling up fast.

Bernhard said Thursday that Starbucks, the mega coffee retailer, will move into 3325 Retail Drive. It is the first to sign a lease for 1,680 square feet. Two other spots are open in this building.

Mr. Pickle’s Sandwich Shop will move into 3250 Retail Drive, joining Great Clips and Sally Beauty Co. Eight more suites are still available in this building.

“We believe Mr. Pickle’s has a good quality product and our franchisers were getting non-stop requests for a Carson City store,” said Jason Chapman, who will open the sandwich shop with his wife, Chrissy. “We’re excited to have an immediate customer base.”

The shop will serve deli-style sandwiches ranging in price from $3-$7.

Jack in the Box will lease one-third of an acre from Bernhard to build its restaurant, he said. The developer plans to sign two or three more tenants in the next 30 days.

“Wal-Mart was a big draw for all these major tenants,” he said.

• Contact reporter Becky Bosshart at or 881-1212.