Grad retail sales should hit $8 million
May 29, 2018
The Retail Association of Nevada says spending on graduates should generate upward of $8 million in retail sales this year.
Spokesman Bryan Wachter said that will be a record for "cap and gown" sales in the Silver State.
He said a recent survey by the National Retail Federation predicted consumers would spend an average of $102.51 on graduation gifts, generating a total of $5.2 billion in sales nationwide. According to that survey, the gift of choice for more than half of those who responded — 54.8 percent — is cash.
UNR and UNLV awarded more than 6,000 degrees this month. In addition, high schools around the state are expected to award nearly 30,000 students diplomas this next week.
Trending In: Business
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Murder suspect in U.S. illegally, authorities say
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit