83 percent of Nevada’s backlogged sexual assault kits sent for testing
August 9, 2018
The attorney general's office reports 83 percent of the backlogged sexual assault kits in Nevada have now been sent for DNA testing.
At one point, there were more than 8,000 kits, some dating back 20 years, that had not been tested to try to identify the perpetrator.
Attorney General Adam Laxalt said the DNA testing so far has resulted in at least 12 arrests.
Of those kits sent to laboratories, 4,871 have now been tested and 466 DNA matches identified. In Northern Nevada, 584 kits have been sent for testing and 372 of them completed, resulting in 59 DNA matches.
In the south where the vast majority of the untested kits were, Laxalt said 5,783 kits have been sent to labs and 4,499 tested resulting in 407 DNA matches.
Laxalt and Nevada legislators worked together in the 2017 session to direct the backlog be eliminated and all DNA kits tested. In addition, that legislation mandates the state timely test all new kits received after a report of sexual assault. It also mandates the DNA profiles be entered into the federal database to provide investigative leads, identify subjects and prosecute cases associated with those tests.
Trending In: Crime
- Man arrested after waving a gun, threatening people says Carson City Sheriff’s Office.
- New sex offender registration law in effect in Nevada
- Transient held on 3 warrants, Carson City Sheriff’s Office says
- CCSO seeks help in check fraud, vehicle burglary case
- DUI suspect stops in center lane, Carson City Sheriff’s Office says