Carson City man accused of murdering 2-year-old may face death penalty
The Carson City man accused of the murder of a 2-year-old may face the death penalty.
Eric Buhl, 26, appeared in Justice Court on Tuesday for his first appearance via video conference. The District Attorney made the announcement it hasn’t ruled out the possibility of seeking the death penalty if Buhl is convicted.
“We have to treat it like a death penalty case if it is on the table,” said Judge John Tatro.
Assistant District Attorney Kristin Luis said the case had aggravating circumstances that could warrant the death penalty.
Buhl was charged last week for open murder and child abuse causing substantial bodily harm in the death of 2-year-old Coahuyana Hernandez.
On March 17, the Carson City Sheriff’s Office and Fire Department responded to the 100 block of Manzanita Terrace, where the caregiver, Buhl, was giving CPR to Hernandez. The child was transported to the hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Buhl was arrested immediately when a search of the residence uncovered explosive devices. He was charged at that time with possession of an explosive or incendiary device in or near certain public or private places and child endangerment.
The District Attorney filed an amended complaint on May 5 to include the murder and child abuse charges.
Buhl was vocal in his discontent with the court proceedings, especially the possibility of the death penalty.
“This is insane, sir,” Buhl said addressing Tatro. “I can’t (expletive) believe it.”
Buhl’s next court date is set for June 5.