Historical Society to hold Christmas party
The Historical Society of Dayton Valley will hold its annual Christmas celebration in the banquet room at the Dayton Valley Country Club at 6 p.m. Saturday.
Selection is of prime rib or salmon. Cost is $33 per person.
Call Dagmar Webber at 246-7732 or Mabel Masterman at 246-4457.
Library offers kids’ story time
Children’s Story Time is 11:30 a.m. each Wednesday at the Dayton Library, 321 Old Dayton Valley Road.
The program is designed for preschool-age children. Call 246-6212.
Case for Change to meet
The Case for Change Dayton Task Force will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Dayton Senior Citizen Center at 320 Old Dayton Valley Road.
The group will begin creating a long-range plan to help those living blow the poverty line and struggling with addiction.
The task force was begun by the Healthy communities Coalition of Lyon and Story Counties and Lyon County Human Services.
Call Bridget Thompson at Healthy Communities for more information, 246-7660.
Scouts sell Christmas trees
Dayton Boy Scout Troop 100 opened its annual Christmas tree lot on the corner of Second Avenue and Highway 50 this week.
The annual fundraiser for the troop features various types, sizes and shapes of fresh fir trees that were harvested last weekend in northwestern Nevada.
Tree lot hours are 1-5 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Tree lighting Saturday
The annual city Christmas tree lighting will be done at dusk Saturday at the Fernley Lassen Depot on Main Street. The gates will open at 3 p.m.
Santa Claus will arrive at 4 p.m. to visit with children. Refreshments will be served.
Luminaria set for Dec. 10
Silver Springs Entertainment and Arts is gearing up for its annual Luminaria at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 10 in the old Silver Springs Senior Center facility.
Before the telling of the Christmas story, locals and visitors will walk a candlelit path to the Nativity scene singing Christmas songs.
The event includes a live Nativity, with locals portraying biblical figures in the Christmas story. The event also includes holiday treats in the senior center and a gift for each child. Santa Claus will arrive by fire truck. Call 577-2637.
Parade, Scrooge kicks off Christmas on the Comstock
Virginia City will hold its annual Christmas on the Comstock celebration offering activities for the month of December, including the Gingerbread Social, shopping, games and more.
• The Parade of Lights will begin at 5 p.m. Saturday. The theme is “Christmas train.” Ribbons will be awarded for the best entries. Categories will be Best Use of Lights, Best Youth Entry, Best Animal Entry, Best Musical Entry and Judges’ Choice. To join the parade, call 847-4768; late entries are welcome. Lineup is at 4:30 p.m. at the Fourth Ward School on the south end of town.
• The Historic Fourth Ward School will hold its Victorian Christmas beginning 6 p.m. Saturday.
• Also on Saturday will be “Ebenezer Scrooge – Jazzed Up Like the Dickens” at Piper’s Opera House. Call 847-0433.
• On Sunday, Dec. 10 and 17, the Gold Hill Theater Troupe will perform the play, “An Alf Doten Christmas” at the Gold Hill Hotel. Tickets: $28 includes dinner/$10 play only. Call 847-0111.
• David John and the Comstock Cowboys will perform their annual holiday show, “Christmas in the Sierra,” at Piper’s Opera House on Dec. 9. Shows will be 4 and 7:30 p.m., with proceeds to benefit Piper’s Opera House and the Virginia City Chamber of Commerce Events Fund. Tickets are $20 for all general-admission seats. For cash or check orders, call (775) 847-4768. For credit card orders, call (775) 847-0433.
Call 847-0311, 847-4FUN or 1-800-718-SLVR.