Early statewide vote totals for five counties show few surprises | NevadaAppeal.com

Early statewide vote totals for five counties show few surprises

Early vote totals for statewide offices showed few surprises Tuesday.

In the hotly contested primaries to replace Kenny Guinn as Governor, State Senator Dina Titus and Rep. Jim Gibbons held substantial leads.

The numbers were only for those who voted early and, as of 8 p.m. for just five counties: Clark, Carson City, Douglas, Elko and Washoe. However, poll watchers have described early voting as a good predictor of final outcomes in the past couple of election cycles.

In the GOP primary, Gibbons had nearly 25,000 votes with early votes from five counties tallied. State Senator Bob Beers had just under 18,000. Lt. Gov. Lorraine Hunt trailed with just under 10,000 total votes.

On the Democratic side, Titus had collected nearly 30,000 votes compared to just under 20,000 for Henderson Mayor Jim Gibson.

In the hotly contested GOP primary for Congress, Assemblywoman Sharron Angle trailed Secretary of State Dean Heller by 1,000 votes with early votes counted in five counties including Washoe and Clark.

And in the race for lieutenant governor, Treasurer Brian Krolicki had just over 22,000 votes compared to 14,784 for Las Vegas businesswoman Barbara Lee Woollen.

in the race for U.S. Senate, the numbers were copmletely lopsided. Incumbent Republican John Ensign had about 90 percent of the ballots cast. The remaining 10 percent was split between Edward Hamilton and None of the Above.

Democratic Jack Carter, son of the former president, had about 80 percent of the total with the remainder split between Carson City school teacher Ruby Tun and None of the Above.

Governor Republican

Jim Gibbons 24,773

Bob Beers 17,803

Lorraine Hunt 9,789

Governor Democrat

Dina Titus 29,406

Jim Gibson 19,775

Congress Dist. 2 Republican

Sharron Angle 5,373

Dawn Gibbons 4,025

Dean Heller 6,347

Lt. Gov. Republican

Brian Krolicki 22.046

Barbara Lee Woollen 14,784

Contact reporter Geoff Dornan at gdornan@nevadaappeal.com or 687-8750.