Eleanor Gertrude Benson
December 11, 2007
Eleanor Gertrude Benson went to be with the Lord on December 9, 2007 surrounded by her family, in Carson City. She was born November 1, 1927 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa to John and Lulu Smiley. Her family moved to Carson City in August of 1937 where she attended school, helped her father and mother with the livestock business, and graduated from Carson High School in 1945. She married Frans Benson on October 6, 1947 in Carson City. She was a secretary for the State Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, a member of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, and was a member of Eastern Star, Eagles Auxiliary, Beta Sigma Phi Sorority, Brewery Arts and the Garden Club.
She was preceded in death by her husband Frans Benson, daughter Joan, parents John and Lulu, brother, Keith and half-brothers Donald (“Jack”) and Dale Smiley.
Eleanor is survived by sons Kenneth (Patti) Benson of Diamond Valley, Eureka, Nev. and James Benson (Debra), of Carson City, four grandchildren Tracy Shane (Ryan) of Spring Creek, Keith and Kerry of Carson City, Craig of Diamond Valley and her brother Glenn (Rosalie) Smiley of Sutherlin, Ore.
Eleanor was a devoted mother and grandmother; her children were foremost in her mind and heart at all times. She lived in Carson City for 70 years and will be missed by her family and many friends.
Great appreciation is extended to a dear friend and neighbor Stan Pochop, the children of Glenn and Rosalie Smiley (Suzanne, Becky, Richard & Michael), Betty Svensson and the extended family of Sture and Betty Svensson all of whom continually contributed to Eleanor’s quality of life.
A celebration of her life will be held at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, 305 Minnesota Street, Carson City on Saturday, December 15 at 11:00 a.m. with Father Jeff Paul officiating. Guests are invited to fellowship following the service at the Parish Hall. Private internment will be at Lone Mountain Cemetery. Walton’s Chapel of the Valley Carson City is in charge of arrangements. Donations maybe made to Friends in Service Helping (FISH) Ross Clinic at 138 E. Long Street or St. Peter’s Episcopal Church Prescription Program.