Faith & Insight by Doug Stewart: Every day should be a day in support of life
For the Nevada Appeal
As we enter into our second week of the Lenten Season, it’s a time of prayer, thought, a time of forgiveness and, this year for me, a time to pray for an end to abortion.
Recently, I decided to become involved with the 40 Days for Life Program, which started Feb. 17 and runs through March 28, during which faithful believers across America are praying that these efforts will mark the beginning of the end of abortion in America.
I know this article will upset some readers. However, I feel with a focused peaceful campaign, with a vision to access God’s power through prayer, fasting, and a truly peaceful vigil, we can end abortion. The mission of this campaign is to bring together the body of Christ in a spirit of unity during a focused 40-day campaign of prayer, fasting, and peaceful activism with the purpose of repentance, to seek God’s favor to turn heads and minds from a culture of life, thus bringing an end to abortion.
I feel one of the strengths of 40 Days for Life is its simplicity and the three main components, which I would like to explain a little more in detail:
1) Prayer and Fasting – inviting people of faith throughout our city and across the country to join together for 40 days of fervent prayer and fasting for an end to abortion.
2) Peaceful Vigil – standing for life through a 40-day peaceful public witness outside the local abortion sites.
3) Community Outreach – taking a positive, upbeat pro-life message to every corner of our city through media efforts, church and school outreach, petition drives, and public visibility.
Why 40 days?
God has used the period of 40 days throughout history to bring about major transformation.
• Noah experienced transformation during 40 days of rain.
• Moses was transformed by 40 days on Mount Sinai.
• David was transformed by Goliath’s 40 day challenge
• Elijah was transformed when God gave him 40 days of strength from one meal.
• Nineveh was transformed when God gave the city 40 days to remain faithful.
• Jesus transformed the world following His 40 days in the desert.
• The disciples were transformed after spending 40 days with Jesus following His resurrection.
What will God accomplish when people of faith across our community and beyond unite for 40 days of prayer and fasting, pulling out all the stops to end the violence of abortion?
I don’t know, but I’m sure excited to find out!
• Doug Stewart is the Youth & Family Minister at St. Teresa of Avila Catholic Community in Carson City. Comments and or questions can be directed to Stewart at 775-882-1968 or e-mail at dougstewart