Five white supremacists plead innocent in temple bombing
RENO, Nev. – Five white supremacists accused of an attempted fire-bombing of a Reno synagogue pleaded innocent to federal charges Tuesday and a U.S. magistrate said at least one appears to be ”full of hate.”
One of the five skinheads had a red swastika tattooed on the side of his shaved head and another had several swastikas on his arm when they appeared here in U.S. District Court.
Federal prosecutors presented the judge with photographs of Nazi posters and flags taken during a search at the apartment of one of the men, Christopher Hampton, 22, in arguing he should not be released from jail.
”The photographs are probably worth a thousand words,” U.S. Magistrate Robert McQuaid said.
”The photographs indicate a person who is at least full of hate towards a large segment of this community,” he said.
McQuaid set a Feb. 15 trial date before U.S. District Judge David Hagen for all five – Hampton, Joshua Kudlacek, 18, Scott Hudson, 23; Carl DeAmicis, 25, and Daniel McIntosh, 19.
The five, and a sixth juvenile, are accused of conspiring to bomb the Temple El-Manuel in southwest Reno last month.
The most serious charge they face is use of a destructive device during a violent crime, which carries up to 30 years in prison.
They also face charges of making and possession of a destructive device, bombing and aiding and abetting.
McQuaid agreed to release only Kudlacek to third-party surveillance, and that’s only if he posts a $107,000 bond and meets some other release requirements.
Prosecutors say the plan was hatched in a Reno hotel room where Hudson was staying while working on a local construction project.
They say Hampton scouted out the best part of the synagogue to attack, and DeAmicis threw a Molotov cocktail toward one of its windows after the group drove back there.
The makeshift bomb shattered a window but did not break through. Damage was minimal, but it was the third attack on the synagogue this year.