Longtime Nevada state official Bart Jacka dies at 81
May 9, 2018
Longtime former state official Bart Jacka died last week in Reno.
He was 81.
Jacka served the state in several key positions. He was director of the Department of Motor Vehicles, head of the Human Resources Department and chairman of the Gaming Control Board before retiring from state service in 1987. Before that, he was assistant Clark County sheriff and helped create the Metropolitan Police Department that united law enforcement agencies in Southern Nevada.
He later served as a member of the Public Works Board.
Jacka is survived by his wife Joanie, son Bart, daughter Lee Ann Bakch and stepchildren Heidi Haartz and Brent Hammack along with 14 grandchildren.
A celebration of life has been set for Saturday at 10 a.m. in the Tuscany Ballroom of Reno's Peppermill Resort.
Trending In: Government
- Sisolak announces engagement
- Dems have Assembly supermajority; just short in Senate (for now)
- Partnership Carson City director to speak at Democratic lunch
- Economic outlook: Nevada to have nearly $9B in general fund for next budget
- Carson City election results: Furlong re-elected; Giomi takes supervisor seat; Luis wins Justice of the Peace