Regents OK student fee hike for UNR fitness center
December 7, 2013
RENO — Student fees are going up next year for undergraduates at the University of Nevada to help pay for construction of a new $46 million dollar fitness center for students, faculty and staff.
The fee doesn't apply to graduate students. Others will pay $15 more a semester beginning next fall. That increases to $45 per semester in 2016 under the mandatory fees approved Friday by the state Board of Regents.
UNR Vice President Ron Zurek tells the Reno Gazette-Journal the fees will help generate about $9 million in bonding capacity to build the four-story E.L. Wiegand Fitness Center in what is currently a parking lot just south of the Lawlor Events Center.
It will include multi-use recreational rooms, workout machines, three full-size basketball courts and a 200-meter running track.
Trending In: Government
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson City lawyer finalist for judicial vacancy