Reid: ‘Right-wing wackos’ had my name removed
December 14, 2014
SALT LAKE CITY — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says he knows who's responsible for removing his name from an outdoor-recreation center at his alma mater in Utah.
The Nevada Democrat told the Las Vegas Review-Journal (http://bit.ly/1wocuTh ) that "right-wing wackos in Utah" were to blame.
Reid's name was removed from Southern Utah University's Outdoor Engagement Center in Cedar City in August, several months after a group of Republicans met with university President Scott Wyatt and made the request to remove it.
Cedar City Councilman Paul Cozzens declined to respond to Reid's comment, but told The Salt Lake Tribune (http://bit.ly/1GkJRJD ) he and others never sought to embarrass Reid politically by making the request.
Wyatt has said he decided to strike Reid's name due to confusion about the center's purpose because no one associated Reid with the outdoors.
Trending In: Government
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’