Home & Garden Briefs July 10
Greenhouse garden center seminar about pond plants
Cool pond plants make a beautiful summer pond. David Ruf, owner of Greenhouse Garden Center will present a free seminar on Pond Plants at 9 a.m. today.
All About Composting is the seminar topic at 9 a.m. July 17. In the summer many of us have a variety of organic matter waiting at the curbside for the weekly garbage pick-up. Reservations are not required for the seminars, but be sure to bring your sunscreen as the pond plant seminar will take place outdoors. For more information, call 882-8600. The center is located at 2450 S Curry St., Carson City.
Build a backyard bird feeder
Nevada State Parks is inviting the public to learn how to make a bird feeder out of recycled plastic at 10 a.m.-noon today at Washoe Lake State Parl. Parks staff will make and decorate bird feeders out of plastic bottles.
The program is suitable for ages 5 and up. All materials will be provided.
All children will receive a 75th Nevada State Parks anniversary prize.
This program is limited to 15 participants. To reserve a space: 775-687-4319.
There is no charge, however there is a $7per vehicle park entry fee with a $2 discount for Nevada residents.
Seminar on mulching and cover crops at Full Circle
Full Circle Compost will host a seminar on “The Importance of Mulching and Cover Crops in your Garden” 11 a.m.-2 p.m. today at the retail site, 3190 Highway 395, Minden.
Topics include: What is the difference between compost and Mulch?; Why use cover crops?; How does Compost, Cover Crops, and Mulch work together in your Garden?; and the ultimate “Soil Satisfaction Package.”
To reserve a seat call 267-5305.
At the market this week
Look for raspberries, both golden and red, blackberries, strawberries, some early corn, plums, pluots, apricots, peaches, nectarines, veggies galore, fresh mixed green, spinach, fresh eggs, honey and a few tomatoes.
Nathan Alanz will provide live music at the Saturday 3rd and Curry streets market.
Farmer’s markets in the region:
• Carson City Downtown Farmer’s Market, 3rd and Curry streets parking lot. 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays through Sept. 11.
• Pony Express Pavilion Farmer’s Market, 3-7 p.m. Wednesdays, Pony Express Pavilion at Mill’s Park. Call 775-746-5024.
• Dayton Farmers Market, 3 p.m. Thursdays, Community Roots, #60 2nd Ave. & Highway 50, Dayton. 775-250-7884.
• Lampe Park farmers market in Gardnerville, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Wednesdays at Lampe Park. Call 782-9828 or dcparksrecreation.co.douglas.nv.us
• Minden farmers market, 4-7 p.m. Tuesdays through September on Esmeralda Avenue. Roxanne Stangle, 782-2444.
• Virginia City’s Farmers Market. 3-6 p.m. Thursdays, Miner’s Park, next to the Senior Center, Virginia City. Call 775-848-4877.