Immigration suit moving forward after Laxalt and Sandoval talk | NevadaAppeal.com

Immigration suit moving forward after Laxalt and Sandoval talk

The Associated Press

CARSON CITY — Gov. Brian Sandoval and Attorney General Adam Laxalt have talked about an immigration lawsuit Laxalt filed earlier this week, and the suit is moving forward in spite of protests.

Laxalt spokeswoman Patty Cafferata says the two met Thursday morning, but declined to discuss specifics about their discussion.

Laxalt announced Monday that Nevada would join 25 other states in a lawsuit challenging President Barack Obama’s executive order aimed at shielding millions from deportation.

Sandoval hadn’t given prior consent to the lawsuit and said he preferred a legislative solution over legal action.

But he said he didn’t think he had the legal authority to overrule Laxalt, who’s a fellow Republican.

Several dozen people protested outside Laxalt’s Las Vegas office on Wednesday, demanding that Nevada pull out of the lawsuit.