‘Buy Local Northern Nevada’ website gets federal grant
November 29, 2013
A website and business directory aimed at encouraging people to buy rural Northern Nevada products will be supported with the help of $25,200 in Rural Business Enterprise Grant money.
The grant approved by USDA Rural Development Nevada, which has offices in Carson City, goes to Western Nevada Development Authority. The development authority has contracted with Buy Nevada First to produce the "Buy Local Northern Nevada" website, which is intended to give consumers a way to seek out and support local commercial enterprises and jobs.
"It's one thing to buy local; the next question is — who is local?" said Dave Asher, director of Buy Nevada First and the Reno Sparks Local Business Cooperative. In a USDA Rural Nevada Development news release, he said local business owners in the regional rural areas served are encouraged to go to http://www.buylocalruralNV.com and post pertinent information in the directory.
People can access information and support the local economy by going there, he said. Rural businesses can list themselves at no charge.
The areas for the project include Churchill, Douglas, Humboldt, Lyon, Mineral, Pershing and Storey counties, plus rural Washoe County.
Trending In: Lahontan Valley
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’