Commissioners award donation for ‘shindig’ event | NevadaAppeal.com

Commissioners award donation for ‘shindig’ event

Steve Ranson
sranson@lahontanvalleynews.com
County Commissioners presented Civil Deputy District Attorney Craig Mingay with a plaque for his eight years of service to the board. Mingay has accepted another position in Washington State with the Attorney General's office. From left Commissioners Bus Scharmann and Carl Erquiaga, Mingay and Commisioner Pete Olsen.
STEVE RANSON / SRANSON@LAHONTANVALLEYNEWS.COM |

After some discussion pertaining to giving donations to civic causes, the Churchill County Commissioners pared down a request from the Cancer Warriors for Central Nevada and gave the organization $1,000 for its Redneck Shindig, an event to raise money to assist cancer victims.

Yessie Maldonado-Clark spoke at the first regularly scheduled commissioners’ meeting of the month and told the board that the organization provides fundraising and support for cancer patients. She said Cancer Warriors selected two Churchill County residents to support this year.

The Redneck Shindig is a family event with 90 percent of the proceeds going to help cancer patients, while the remaining 10 percent will be rolled over for the next event in 2014. The event is slated for Sept. 28 at the Churchill County Fairgrounds.

“This origination came about to support the president’s daughter (who had cancer),” said Maldonado-Clark.

The group originally sought a $1,3350 donation from the county to help with food, T-shirts and advertising, but commissioners, along with County Manager Eleanor Lockwood, asked questions about the organiization. Lockwood said Cancer Warriors doesn’t have an eligibility policy in place and she wondered if money donated to the group would go to Churchill County residents.

Commissioners and Lockwood asked Maldonado-Clark if Cancer Warriors approached Relay for Life for help, but then the discussion turned to the amount of dollars Relay for Life generates for local use.

The commissioners decided to give Caner Warriors $1,000.

“After the even,t could you give us an accounting of it?” Commissioner Pete Olsen asked Maldonado-Clark.

Churchill County Librarian Carol Lloyd updated the commissioners on the facility’s new website.

“It’s user friendly, and we worked with CC Comm to put it together,” she said. “I invite you to look at it.”

Lloyd took commissioners through a tour of the website and showed them the categories and subcategories. She explained a new base where information from magazines and newspapers can be sought.

With the website, Comptroller Alan Kalt said the library “went green 24/7” for people to access the website.

“It allows people access to the library without physically coming into the building,” Lloyd pointed out.

Lloyd also said while other counties are cutting back services and reducing hours, Churchill County isn’t.

“We’re open 57 hours a week, six days a week,” she said.

In July, she said the library averaged 450 patrons daily, and the summer reading program served 510 children, an increase of more than 130 from 2012.

Lloyd said the library also took in $17,000 in grants and gifts and received $50,000 toward the building fund to expand. She said a five-year plan was also completed.

In other board news:

Approved Local Tariff #50 changes from CC Communications. Changes will add installation to the construction labor category and increase the labor rate to $85 per hour. It will delete the computer programming category but add a combo tech labor category at $85 an hour.

Authorized county surplus equipment to be auctioned later in the month.

Approved a Capital Project Fund known as the Road Equipment Replacement Fund.

Approved an agreement with the Senior Coalition regarding the cost-sharing payment of comp time for the C.A.R.T. Director.

Approved Payment in Lieu of Taxes Agreement with Sunridge Fallon Associates.