Smoking may have caused fire
November 15, 2016
An early morning fire reported at 5:30 a.m. on Monday gutted portions of a building east of the Elks Lodge on Center Street.
Both Fallon/Churchill Volunteer and Naval Air Station's Federal Fire departments responded to the fire. Fallon Fire Chief Ralph Hamman said more than 30 firefighters were on the scene.
Fire Marshal Mitch Young conducted his investigation of Monday. Before he arrived, Fallon Police Department blocked off Center Street to protect the site for Young.
"The fire appears to be accidental," he said. "The cause is undetermined, but it appears most likely it's the improper disposal of smoking material."
No one was injured.
He said the major portion of the damage occurred in the center portion of the building, and there was heavy smoke damage.
Recommended Stories For You
The Elks Club also reported some smoke damage.
Trending In: Lahontan Valley
- Squaw Valley worker emerges from avalanche wrecked, but alive
- Carson City’s Matt Williams making return to Bay Area
- Rally Pack: Nevada Wolf Pack storms back to upset Cincinnati
- Nevada Wolf Pack Notes: Cody Martin more than an afterthought
- Ormsby House likely to be retail/housing, Carson City supervisors told