Fallon Elks Lodge honors veterans
November 14, 2017
Fallon Elks Lodge 2239 held its annual Veterans Day Dinner on Nov. 11 at the Elks Lodge. There were about 40 veterans and guests present.
Veterans were treated to a hamburger steak dinner with trimmings and dessert.
The program included "A Nation Remembers" on the history of Veterans Day, and "A Small White Table" remembering POW/MIAs.
This year' guest speaker was Col. Mathew Matter, U.S. Army, Retired.
Col. Matter serves as the Chief of Staff for NAWDC at NAS Fallon. Col. Matter's presentation included and overview of his military service, a reflection on veterans service, and a strong conviction that if asked, "our veterans, would again step forward to serve. "
Following the presentation the veterans in attendance each spoke identifying themselves and indicating the service they served in, their years and era of service, and many offered personal notations.
Recommended Stories For You
There was a social time both before and after the program where many veterans shared their experiences.
Trending In: Lahontan Valley
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit