Gifts for Giving has a banner season
December 26, 2014
The Christian Life Center's Gifts for Giving did better than anyone expected.
"The donations were higher," said Carol Bock, an organizer of the program now in its 11th year. "We have a very giving community. We had five to six people bring items by Friday (Dec. 19)."
For the past month, her No Strings Attached Community Services collected used toys, books, children's clothes and decorations.
On Saturday, Bock said scores of people stopped by the church's multi-purpose building to sort through the items ranging from clothes of all sizes to toys.
Bock said both individuals and companies were in the Christmas spirit. She said Fallon Family Chiropractic, for example, donated 200 sweatshirts and "hoodies" for the one-day event.
"That was awesome with that kind of help," Bock said.
Recommended Stories For You
Although the push was to collect as many items by the giveaway day, Bock said she collects toys and cash donations all year, and then they are stored in three storage-shed rentals.
Raquel Vasquez, who recently moved to Fallon, said it's a nice gesture for the church to provide items to families.
"It put me in the mood," she said of Christmas. "It's nice people get organized and do this for people in need."
Trending In: Lahontan Valley
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’