Heavenly receives 14 inches of snow, opens Big Dipper
December 4, 2014
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE — During the last week, Heavenly Mountain Resort received 14 inches of snow, enabling the resort to expand terrain and open Big Dipper run. This boosts Heavenly's open skiable terrain to 3 miles.
"We began making snow on Big Dipper a week ago, and this storm brought us that last little bit we needed to be able to open it to guests," said Pete Sonntag, vice president and COO of Heavenly. "We opened it mid-day on Wednesday and guests were very eager to get out there and get fresh pow on the ungroomed run."
This weekend marks the start of Heavenly's season kickoff party, Winter Ignite. With on-mountain Unbuckle après parties, multiple concerts, the Pretty Faces movie premiere and comedy from Daniel Tosh, South Lake Tahoe will be the place to jumpstart the 2014-15 ski and ride season on Dec. 5-6 and 12-13.
Winter Ignite culminates with a free concert by Young The Giant in Heavenly Village on Saturday, Dec. 13 at 7 p.m. For more info, go to http://www.skiheavenly.com/winterignite.
Trending In: Lahontan Valley
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Murder suspect in U.S. illegally, authorities say
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit