Hidden Cave case ends with final guilty plea | NevadaAppeal.com

Hidden Cave case ends with final guilty plea

Steve Puterski
Archaeologist Christine Bowen shows an area where workers removed graffiti last spring.

The last of the Hidden Cave vandals pleaded guilty Tuesday in District Court for vandalizing the historical site in February 2014.

Sean Michael Patrick O’Brien entered the plea to one count of placing graffiti on or otherwise defacing a protected site. The felony charge carries a penalty of one to four years in prison and a $5,000 fine. By law, it also carries a mandatory sentence of 10 days in jail, a fine between $400-$1,000, 100 hours of community service to abate the graffiti and a suspension of a driver’s license between six months to two years.

O’Brien’s attorney, John Oakes of Reno, said his client was one of several people who defaced Hidden Cave at Grimes Point more than 1 year ago.

The damage discovered included spray painting in and outside the cave, on steps leading to the site and kiosk, where bullet holes where also found.

The investigation lasted several months, although warrants were issued on Sept. 23, 2014, for four suspects.

O’Brien left Fallon after the crime and was arrested in Alabama on Oct. 7. He was extradited to Fallon where he has been in custody in the Churchill County Jail since he could not afford his $5,000 bond.

Two co-defendants, William McHaney and Scotti Jenkins, were arrested on Sept. 25 and 26, respectively, while Justin McGliton was picked up on Oct. 10. Jazzmend Crabtree and a juvenile were also arrested as part of the crime.

O’Brien, McGilton, Jenkins and McHaney all pleaded to the same charge and must each pay more than $12,000 in restitution. The case against the juvenile is sealed and not open to public record.

O’Brien will be sentenced June 2.

In other court news —

Patrick Coatney was sentenced Tuesday in District Court up to three years in prison for possession of a controlled substance.

Coatney had 13th prior felony convictions and 11 prison sentences, according to Churchill County Deputy District Attorney Michael Winn.

Colin Harms of Fallon pleaded guilty to one count of driving under the influence, third offense.

His attorney, Jacob Sommer, said his client will apply for the DUI Diversion Program, although he may not qualify.

Harms is currently serving a suspended sentence after picking up his third DUI in less than seven years. He will be released on his own recognizance after the sentence ends, but must wear a SCRAM device, which detects the presence of alcohol until his June 2 sentencing hearing.

If Harms does not qualify for the program, he faces one to six years in prison.

A no-bail bench warrant was rescinded on Deanna Michelle Sullivan on March 11 due to a clerical mix-up, according to District Court.

Randy McClelland of Carson City pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful taking or obtaining of controlled substance or prescription.

However, McClelland was placed in the Western Regional Drug Court and placed on probation for up to three years. He must complete drug court or he will return to District Court for sentencing.

He was arrested after an incident on Dec. 8 where McClelland used a false prescription to obtain oxycodone from Walgreens.