NNDA hands out Pioneer Awards in Carson City
Northern Nevada Development Authority on Thursday presented its annual Pioneer Awards, including recognizing Bill Miles of Miles Construction.
Miles was named Pioneer of the Year for his efforts to improve the Sierra Region.
His company was also honored with the Golden Hammer Award (in partnership with the Nevada Builder’s Alliance) to Miles Construction for the Carson City MAC facility.
In addition, NNDA recognized 12 companies and organizations who either relocated to the area or significantly expanded their operations in the area in 2015.
The awards are NNDA’s annual opportunity to celebrate and recognize the successes and accomplishments of businesses in the area.
The sold-out event was held in the Carson Nugget Ballroom Thursday evening.
The awards and their recipients this year are:
• The Battle Born Award for Best Green Practices to Full Circle Soils and Compost for their dedication to recycling, sustainable agriculture and green education.
• The Boundary Peak Award for Outstanding Non-profit of the Year to the Capital City CIRCLES Initiative for their commitment to breaking the poverty cycle by giving people the tools to raise themselves and their families out of poverty.
• The Comstock Award for innovator of the year to Server Technology, which was awarded eight patents for technologies dealing with data centers in 2015.
• The Doc Holliday award for Best Health Care Initiative to Nevada Rural Hospital Partners for work facilitating passage of legislation allowing licensed health care workers to provide tele-health services to patients.
• The Homestead Award for Best Agriculture Initiative to Bently Heritage for growing all grains and botanicals needed for their new Bently Heritage Distillary.
• The Kit Carson Award for Entrepreneur of the Year to Basin and Range Organics for obtaining the credentials to certify organic producers and handlers in the state.
• The Mark Twain Award for Best Marketing Campaign to Greater Nevada Credit Union for developing their “next step” campaign focusing on increasing awareness in northern Nevada markets.
• The Pony Express award for Best Community Involvement to Dr. Cary Jaques, DDS, for working with the regional Health and Wellness Hub initiative and bringing basic dental care to the elderly, veterans and young children in northern Nevada.
• The Silver Apple Award for Educator of the year to Western Nevada College’s Jump Start College allowing dual enrollment in college classes for high school students.
• The Silver Spur Award for Employee of the Year to Kathy McIntosh, Silver Safe Food Pantry.
• The Silver State Award for Most Outstanding Student to Caleb Holley for developing and leading a garden club at Sutro Elementary School teaching kids about organic gardening.
• The Wagon Wheel Award for Best New Technology to Server Technology Inc., for obtaining eight patents on data center technologies.