Two-car collision slows Reno Highway traffic
December 30, 2014
A two-car collision on the Reno Highway in below freezing weather sent one person to the hospital.
The accident, which occurred shortly after 5 p.m. on Tuesday, occurred west of McLean Road. Westbound traffic was restricted to one lane.
The Churchill County Sheriff's Office and Nevada Highway Patrol were on the scene.
Paramedics from Banner Churchill Community Hospital were also dispatched.
Sheriff Ben Trotter said the accident involved Elvira Macias, 38, who was driving a four-door sedan, and Carson Gillette, 19, who was driving a Toyota pickup. They are both from Fallon. NHP is still investigating the accident.
Tuesday's morning accident, which is under investigation by the NHP, involved two Fallon men.
Recommended Stories For You
Trotter said a preliminary reports shows that both vehicles collided on the Reno Highway at Rice Road at 5:24 a.m.
Larry Cardoza, 30, was driving a Volkswagen Jetta, and Miguel Tapia, 20, was in a Ford Ranger. According to the report, Trotter said alcohol may have been a factor in the accident. Trotter said Tapia was taken to jail, while Banner Churchill paramedics transported Cardoza to the local medical facility with leg injuries. Trotter said Cardoza was later taken to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno.
Trending In: Lahontan Valley
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Murder suspect in U.S. illegally, authorities say
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit