View from the Past |

View from the Past

100 Years Ago

Sheriff Mark Wildes Dies By Bullet of Draft Evader Walters: Last Saturday Sheriff Wildes, hearing that Paul Walters, who had been evading the draft for about 10 months, was living in the hills near Jessup, started out to get the man. He was accompanied by Fred Venth, a harness maker, who seemed to know where Walters was hiding. A prospector by the name of Temple, who had lived for some time near Jessup, was supposed to know the whereabouts of Walters. The sheriff and Venth motored to Jessup Saturday, when a few miles above the Overland Trail Venth saw a man walking down a canyon, and they drove a short distance and finally found they would have to leave the car. They had not gone far when it was discovered there were two men instead of one. Venth said when they went up to the man, he hailed Temple, and after shaking hands, introduced the sheriff saying he might want to buy some of Temple’s mining claims. The sheriff then turned to Walters and asked if he was Paul Walters and receiving an affirmative answer, said, “I want you.” At this, Walters pulled his gun and began firing. Walters soon disappeared in the hills. The wounded man lay in the sagebrush for an hour and a half before assistance came. The following day, Sheriff Wildes was removed to a Lovelock hospital, and his condition was reported favorable for recovery. Wednesday evening news came that Sheriff Wildes was sinking and Dr. Lehners was summoned. On Thursday morning, the sad news came that he passed away at 5:40 a.m. Dr. Lehners reported death resulted from blood poisoning and the sheriff’s last words in his delirium seemed to be on his duties having to do with the draft and the carrying out of his unfinished work.

–Churchill County Eagle, Saturday May 25, 1918

75 years ago

Fire Damage to Theatre Will Be Repaired at Once: Damage to the Fallon Theatre, caused by an early morning fire last Sunday, was not as great as had at first been estimated and will be repaired at once, according to Thomas L. Karren, the new owner, who said most of the material has already been arranged for and all possible speed will be made. Most costly damage was to the seats in the upper part of the balcony, where the fire is believed to have started from a cigarette. The fire alarm was turned in just before 4 o’clock Sunday morning by Night Officer Charlie Boyd, and was believed to have been smoldering for quite a while before the smoke attracted attention. A similar fire in the same building caused more damage two years ago last Christmas morning.

–Fallon Eagle, Saturday May 29, 1943

50 years ago

Wildhorse Fish Limit Lifted: Nevada Fish and Game Commissioners voted Friday to lift the limit on fish at Wildhorse Reservoir in northern Elko County. The popular Elko County reservoir will be drained to meet and make way for new dam construction downstream and also to satisfy irrigation demands on the Owyhee Indian Reservoir. Fish salvage operations under similar conditions in the past years have been futile because of inaccessibility for salvage equipment; therefore, no salvage will be attempted this year. Removing the limit will allow anglers to harvest fish that would otherwise be lost. The no limit measure will become effective on June 1, 1968.

–Fallon Eagle Standard, Friday May 31, 1968

A view from the past … Stories from the Churchill County Museum and Archives, researched and compiled by Brianna Silver, Churchill County Museum Assistant.